Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

We have a very old cat (taken on from a neighbour about 16

We have a very old cat (taken on from a neighbour about 16 months ago) who is 22 and is in very good shape. Eats well, has little exercise now, has a beautiful coat, and her toilet is fine. She has a deep throated growl - is this normal in an old cat or is there a problem.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

It's difficult to say if this is a problem, since you have only had her for a short time.

Dr. Susan :

It is possible that she has done this behavior all along.

Dr. Susan :

If we knew that this was a new behavior, I would be concerned about the possibility of a structural change or growth in her throat.

Dr. Susan :

The way to investigate this would be to have her evaluated by your local vet. I would start with a physical exam and sedation to examine her larynx/pharynx area.

Dr. Susan :

If there is something abnormal seen, I recommend biopsy.

Dr. Susan :

If everything appears normal, I would simply continue to monitor her activity level, appetite, and litter box habits.