Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

8 year old terrier has been drinking lots more water

8 year old terrier has been drinking lots more water for several weeks and also urinating more - asking to go out twice a night and has a long pee Also right hind leg has developed a limp - can you please advise.
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 1 year ago.
Sophie-Vet :

Hi there my name is ***** ***** I am a registered veterinarian. I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

Dogs can drink and urinate more than usual for a number of reasons, usually there is an underlying reason which can be treated. Have you been able to measure the amount of water your dog is drinking in a 24 hour period? Could you estimate it? This can be important in determining if it is truly too much. The limp is unlikely to be related, although it is possible. Has anything happened recently? Is it a skipping or hopping type of lameness that comes and goes? I'll wait for you to come back online so we can chat more.

Customer:

Hi - Leos' limp is a hopping one - ie hold his leg up when walking - sometimes tries to put it on ground but holds it up quickly again.

Sophie-Vet :

Does he walk normally between the episodes of hopping?

Customer:

Leos' drinks about a pint+ from what I can tell - obviously when I am not around he may drink more from other water bowls - we have a Border Collie also.

Sophie-Vet :

Ok having two dogs can make it tricky to calculate the true amount of water being drank. Since this can indicate kidney problems or other hormanal conditions it is probably a good idea to collect a urine sample when out on a walk and get your vet to test how concentrated his urine is. If it is not concentrated then it may mean further blood tests are needed to find out if there is something wrong that needs treatment e.g. kidney disease.

Sophie-Vet :

There is not a good way you can test the urine at home unfortunately. What about the lameness, does he have normal episodes?

Customer:

No he always has it just off the floor.

Sophie-Vet :

Ok. If he was otherwise quite normal I would say this is very likely to be a patella problem (kneecap) this is very common in terriers. However if it is ongoing and he is not weight bearing all of the time it could be a number of different problems. Your vet would need to check the position of the patella and can do this just with a physical exam. They will check if it is sliding out of place abnormally. Sometimes the patella can get locked out of place and not move back and this can cause the signs you are seeing. However without checking the patella it is very hard to say and it could certainly also be a soft tissue injury (strain, sprain) or even damage to a ligament. Worth getting this checked out.

Sophie-Vet :

Luxating patellas are very common in terrier breeds.

Customer:

Ok - I will get a sample of his urine as suggested and take him and the sample to my vet. Other than these two things he appears to be perky and interested so I am hoping all will be well when he has seen our vet and perhaps given treatment.

Sophie-Vet :

Yes that would be the perfect plan. Taking the first urine of the morning is best as it is usually most concentrated. If you cant get an appointment until the evening urine is best kept in the fridge or a cold place (outside can be ok on some days of winter).

Sophie-Vet :

Your vet will be able to get a good idea of what is going on by feeling the leg. I find it really helpful sometimes if people video the limping at home as it is often different in the vet clinic due to adrenaline!

Sophie-Vet :

I hope all is well for your visit. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Hi - no I am happy with your advice and thank you very much for your help.

Customer:

Sophie-Vet :

No problem, all the best with Leo. Sophie

Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.