Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

our two Bengal kittens got sick two weekends ago with blood

Hi our two Bengal kittens got sick two weekends ago with blood and mucus in stool wouldn't eat with spewing and
They spent weekend in and out of vets blood test came back fine and a stool test on both came back clear. So they gave us a wormer and a antibiotic after three days of persevering we finely got them to eat again, so there eating the premium wet science diet kitten food in morning and lunch was a mix of science diet and raw chicken mince or beef or chicken hearts then tea just raw chicken mince or beef. They were eating just raw when we got them there now bout 5 months old. They are happy and hungry playful but there stools are grey but firm, we think it is the food ? Is this ok and what do u recommend to feed them apart from dry food? They have been doing grey stools since they started coming right about a week.
I don't want to keep running them to vet because it stress's them out.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

The gray color is seen most often with stool retention and constipation.

Dr. Susan :

I'm glad that you were given some dewormer in spite of the normal stool testing.

Dr. Susan :

I would like to make sure that they received a specific dewormer called Albon (sulfadimethoxine) which treats for coccidia.

Dr. Susan :

Coccidia is a parasite that I diagnose quite often in kittens that have blood in their stool.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, I don't worry about color that much.

Dr. Susan :

The most important thing is making sure that they are able to pass stool easily without straining.

Dr. Susan :

If you see any straining in the box, I would start mixing some Miralax (PEG3350) into each meal.

Dr. Susan :

For kittens, I would start with 1/8 teaspoon twice a day.

Dr. Susan :

With regard to diet, I recommend sticking with the Science Diet kitten food.

Dr. Susan :

You can use either dry or canned or a mixture of both.

Dr. Susan :

This is preferable to the raw meat, as that can also contribute to GI disturbances.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.