Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 8 year old cat is loosing hair at an alarming rate. We have

Customer Question

My 8 year old cat is loosing hair at an alarming rate. We have consulted local vets. No flea problems.they put it down to stress. He eats well has plenty of energy but does seem a nervous cat we have had him for 7 years and this problem has happened in the last 4 months. Can any one help?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many causes of hair loss in cats such as metaboic problems or other conditions. The most common is a Hormone Responsive Alopecia. This is caused by Tabby being neutered early in life and lacking the testosterone often required for skin health.

Have your vet run a blood profile on Tabby to be sure there is not a medical cause for this. If this is ruled out, then the treatment is a daily dose of Megesterol Acetate which will help resolve this hair loss with hormones.

Talk to your vet about this since it is very common in older neutered cats.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Loretta May I just say that Tabby seems to bite of the hair himself would this tie in with your diagnosis? T
Yes, Margaret...this is a common condition with the Hormone Responsive Alopecia...they often bite the hair out.

check this LINK , Margaret, for more information...then talk to your vet.
Thank you so much , Margaret,for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Loretta for your answer I am very pleased with your answer and rate your advise as excellent. I shall now ask our vet to take a blood test from Tabby and check for a hormone problems.Thanks again from Margaret
Good for you, Margaret...unfortunately, there is no test to check for this. WE diagnose this by "response to treatment". Your vet will know what to do...

Have a wonderful day Margaret!