Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 1yr old English springer spaniel has had semi loose stools

My 1yr old English springer spaniel has had semi loose stools for a week.
I wormed him yesterday and although he was sick for a short time he now has very runny poo that he squirts.It seems to be orange in colour.
Will this last?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the dewormer?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Any vomiting?
4- Any blood in the stool?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the name of the dewormer is beaphar one dose wormer.

He is lethargic.

He had been sick yesterday but that has now stopped.

No blood in the stool that I can see.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me the name of the active ingredient in the bottle, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

contains nitroscanate 500mg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Colin, the orange color stool is common when dogs have diarrhea, this is a sign of the intestines being over active and not absorbing bile.
As you already know intestinal parasites is a very common cause for chronic diarrhea in a young dog. There are 3 parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause chronic diarrhea and yet be negative on routine fecal analysis. For this reason it is always a good idea to deworm using a dewormer that treats the above parasites. Nitroscanate does Not treat any of the above mentioned parasites. This is what you can do:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3-5 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. You can also buy Fenbendazole online and in some pet stores. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal. Then, wean him back into his regular dog food over a period of 1 week.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work to rule out other possible causes for chronic diarrhea.

Note: Do not give anti diarrhea medications like imodium or pepto bismol.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter