Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have just rescued a 6month old Staffie pup. He keeps being

I have just rescued a 6month old Staffie pup. He keeps being sick and just now it was quite slimey and continued quite a bit of white foam. It also ncluded his food. The pup is quite underweight so much his ribs are showing. Is this something serious. Help is appreciated hated.
Carol
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Ari isn't feeling well, lethargic with vomiting his food and foam and mucous.
Foam in his vomit is a mixture of air and mucous from his esophagus and stomach as he retches when he vomits and isn't indicative of any disease in particular.
He is likely dehydrated because he is vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for now.
In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.
More serious causes of vomiting in puppies and young dogs include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. Is he producing stools?
In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished his vaccine series, a viral infection such as parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause of his symptoms, and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.
It is also possible that a change in diet, from whatever the previous owners fed to a new food at your home, as well as the worming medication upset his stomach and led to vomiting. Dogs that are very thin/starving can have difficulty digesting and absorbing high quality, rich foods.
Because he is young, if this has been going on for more than a day, and he is lethargic ideally he would see a veterinarian now. Puppies dehydrate easily and he needs fluids.
If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.
To try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting and improve his appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.
In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.
If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it, he needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.
But if things go well and he does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in what will be his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his new regular diet.
If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if he refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this info. I will certainly try some of the remedies you have suggested,
He is eating his food and it is the same as his previous owner gave him I asked them if he had been sick a lot before I got him and they said yes. He tends to gulp down his dry food. He is generally perky but has slept a lot today,
He is passing stools but they seem a little hard and dry.
Carol
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
Since the food is the same and he has a history of vomiting perhaps that particular food isn't the right one for him.
Hard, dry stools indicate dehydration, not a surprise given his frequent vomiting.
I would use one of the acid reducers, and feed a bland diet as described in my initial response adding lots of chicken or beef broth or warm water to slow down his gulping.
If his vomiting stops then consider a different diet. I like Purina Pro Plan, Hills Science Diet or Royal Canin puppy foods. Feed 2 to 3 small meals a day and perhaps add water or broth to slow down his eating.
If his vomiting continues then a veterinary visit and some diagnostic testing is on order.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.