Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

does a cat have a fast digestive tract,because my cat eats

does a cat have a fast digestive tract,because my cat eats like a horse and drinks like a fish .and poos all day she is a very small cat and 16yrs old.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is she losing weight?
3- Is she drinking more than usual?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mabe about 6wks,i dont think she is losing weight,she has no pre existing medical conditions ,there was blood in her diarrhoea this morning,this is how she is all the time,but not with blood. She was completely the opposite all her life constipation.should i not give her any more food today.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
So she has had diarrhea for 6 weeks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes at least 6wks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Heather, in response to your question a cat normally does Not have a fast digestive tract. But, there are diseases that can make a digestive tract to be over active. As far as possible causes there are many. This can occur with diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract like IBS (inflammatory bowel syndrome). Or, there could be a systemic disease like hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) to name a few causes. The diarrhea, blood in the stool and increase appetite can be seen with either of the above mentioned diseases.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Sheba will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (CBC, Chemistry profile & T4) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test findings. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter