Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have recently taken in a stray. I took him to get neutered

I have recently taken in a stray. I took him to get neutered and the vet that did it said that Samson only had one testicle. He said there was a chance that the other was internal but to find out he would have to do an operation that will cost me 200 quid. I want to know if the operation is necessary before I put the cat through it. Although he is settling in he still displays anxiety at times, I dont want to distress him. We have kept cats all our lives (Im 55) but have never come across this
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, the concern with undescended testicles is that they may turn into a tumor if not removed. In addition, the testicle will continue to produce testosterone (hormone) and the cat will have the usual characteristics of spraying, wanting to roam, etc. For all of these reasons it is important to remove the undescended testicle.
As far as alternative, if the vet only removed 1 testi, it is safe to assume the other one is either within the inguinal canal or within the abdomen. Xrays will Not help locating the testi.

Note: Discuss with your vet checking the inguinal region, often the testi is in that area and vet does not have to go into the abdomen making the procedure less invasive and less expensive.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!