Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Is Leo my cats Pancreatitus been agrveated,or been promented by giving treats containing 4

Is Leo my cats Pancreatitus been agrveated,or been promented by giving treats containing 4% cheese, as told by your artitucle in your pets at home mag;last month? cheese causes Pancreatittus,therefore re the articule I shou;ld not give him these treats, would this be your take on this too.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

The main concern with chronic cases of pancreatitis is that high fat can aggravate pancreatitis.

Dr. Susan :

The small amount of cheese itself does not concern me, but I worry about the overall fat content in the treats.

Dr. Susan :

I prefer to stick with low fat, easily digestible diets like Hills I/D and Royal Canin GI Moderate Calorie food.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend avoiding treats for these kitties.

Dr. Susan :

Treats are generally appealing because they are higher in fat and protein, very likely this treat fits that category.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions!

Dr. Susan :

I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer:

Dear Dr Susan,

Customer:

Leo has been in great distress re this condistion,and I am sure this was brought on by these treats,which has caused,anquese,pain,to both Leo and myself,3 times I took him to he vets to put him to sleep, he is the only thing in my life,and I do not wont any when else to go through what I went through with Leo,he still is not out of the woods so to speak,but I feel that these treats should have a warning on them !!

Dr. Susan :

I understand your concerns, I think it is more important that your vet inform you of what you need to do to keep him most healthy.

Dr. Susan :

The treats are fine - for a healthy cat.

Customer:

Dear Dr Susan,

Customer:

many thanks,the treats are fine you say,even with the 4% cheese,do I understand then that's OK?

Customer:

ours Sincerely

Customer:

J.Ann.Warner