DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

Sometimes, after eating, my cat has started to claw the side

Sometimes, after eating, my cat has started to claw the side of her mouth and yawn several times as if something might be caught there; sometimes she even retches. She won't let me check her mouth but I can't see anything untoward when she yawns. She then tends to settle down after a while but it starts up again after eating.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

DrMelJ :

Most likely this is a sign of oral (mouth) pain. She likely has dental issues or a bad tooth. At her age, this is something that happens often.

DrMelJ :

Other, less likely possibilities, include an oral tumor, some (like a sewing needle) stuck in her gums or between her teeth), or focal seizures (least likely).

DrMelJ :

I would recommend having her in to see a vet for a dental evaluation and cleaning if necessary.

DrMelJ :

In the meantime, if you dont already, feed her moistened or softened food, to make it easier for her to eat.

DrMelJ :

I hope this has been helpful. Best wishs

DrMelJ :

wishes