Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

If a parrot's leg is broken does he need special treatment

If a parrot's leg is broken does he need special treatment or can it heal by itself and if not is it possible to become more serious and that cause his life?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I have more than twenty years of experience caring for sick and injured birds.

Dr. Jo :

Rest assured I am here to discuss your question with you until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Your question was quite direct: can a broken leg on a parrot heal all by itself, and can such an injury be life threatening?

Dr. Jo :

The answer is complex, however.

Dr. Jo :

In order to heal well and return the leg to proper, pain-free function, nearly ALL fractured legs require medical intervention.

Dr. Jo :

Some fractures become life-threatening due to the risk of blood loss or sepsis infection in the blood stream). This is most likely to happen when the fracture punctures the skin, creating an open wound.

Dr. Jo :

Sometimes fractures damage the blood supply to the rest of the leg below the fracture and this can lead to the death of all the tissue below the fracture site. This causes loss of the leg and sometimes death.

Dr. Jo :

The only type of fracture that can heal well on its own would be so minor you wouldn't even know the bird had a fracture. It would only show up as a tiny hairline fracture in the bone on an x-ray. There would have to be NO bent angle to the bone at all, and ideally the fracture would be in a location where it had the support of another bone side-by-side with it that was not broken.

Dr. Jo :

Any fracture where you can see the leg is clearly broken because it is crooked requires medical attention in order to heal properly.

Dr. Jo :

If left alone, the fracture will remodel the shape of the leg into something crooked, unstable, and painful for the rest of the bird's life, if it survives.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know what other information you need. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are not currently online.

Dr. Jo :

If you wish to discuss this further when you return online, please type in a message.

Customer:

It was clear enough

Customer:

Understood

Dr. Jo :

Good. I want to be as helpful as possible.

Customer:

Dr. Jo :

Are you currently having a problem with your bird, or just looking for general information?

Customer:

I do have problem

Dr. Jo :

What kind of bird is Hulk?

Customer:

don't know exactly

Customer:

Kind of Amazonian

Dr. Jo :

Amazons are beautiful birds!

Customer:

Look quite a lot like Indian with the neckless

Dr. Jo :

And, yes ... distinguishing the different types of Amazons can be very tricky.

Customer:

But it's not

Dr. Jo :

Is he favoring a leg?

Customer:

And is really green

Dr. Jo :

And can you see that the leg is obviously crooked?

Customer:

Main colour green

Customer:

When do they show their gender

Dr. Jo :

Amazons cannot be sexed based upon their physical appearance.

Customer:

Because I'm not sure is it male or female

Dr. Jo :

We rely on DNA sexing from a blood sample.

Customer:

Ooh

Customer:

I see

Dr. Jo :

Somehow they manage to figure it out, however. ;-)

Customer:

But I was told if the head colour becomes red its female

Customer:

And if yellow is a male

Customer:

Is that true

Dr. Jo :

If Hulk is an Amazon, that is not true.

Dr. Jo :

There are yellow-headed Amazons that are both male and female.

Dr. Jo :

Likewise for red-heade.

Dr. Jo :

*headed.

Customer:

Alright

Customer:

So definitely needs to see a doctor

Customer:

:)

Dr. Jo :

This is what is called the Mexican Red-headed Amazon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-crowned_amazon

Dr. Jo :

Yes. Even healthy birds need to see the doctor once a year, so if Hulk is new to you, you'll want to take him in, even if he's acting fine.

Dr. Jo :

You'll want to have a relationship with an experienced avian vet BEFORE you have an emergency

Dr. Jo :

Bird vets who are knowledgeable and experienced can be hard to find.

Dr. Jo :

This is the yellow-headed Amazon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-headed_amazon

Dr. Jo :

There are more than thirty different species of Amazon. They're fascinating.

Dr. Jo :

Your local vet should be able to help you find your closest avian veterinarian. Sometimes people have to travel a bit to find one, but it's very worthwhile to have a plan ready for providing your avian companion with the medical care he'll need.

Customer: So where I can find a good bird vet
Dr. Jo :

Great minds think alike! I was just typing in that information when you asked.

Dr. Jo :

You can also find an avian vet on the AAV website. They have a Find-A-Vet feature

Customer: Thanks
Dr. Jo :

www.aav.org

Customer: That's helpful
Dr. Jo :

http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

Dr. Jo :

And, yes... there are members of the AAV in the UK

Dr. Jo :

Is Hulk eating okay and not fluffed up?

Dr. Jo :

Oftentimes an ill or injured bird will fluff up to conserve body heat.

Dr. Jo :

If that's the case, you need to put a heat lamp on him or otherwise provide supplemental heat until you can get him to the doctor

Customer: He is really struggling climbing the cage
Customer: And is staying outside
Customer: He is very afraid
Dr. Jo :

If perching is difficult, place him in a smaller cage (if you can) without perches. Place a towel on the floor of the cage so it isn't slippery, and put the food and water on the floor of the cage so it's easy to reach.

Dr. Jo :

Oh, no! I see you've given me a bad rating.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know how else I can help.

Dr. Jo :

I want to be as helpful as I can for you and Hulk.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry you are not satisfied with the information I've provided. I'm happy to keep discussing your situation until you are.

Dr. Jo :

I did not mean to disappoint you.

Customer: something went wrong
Customer: Don't be worried
Customer: U helped me
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

Did you mean to leave a positive rating?

Customer: And I'm really pleased with the info u gave me
Dr. Jo :

Good. Thank you.

Customer: I see when I put excellent service it closes the chat
Customer: So I guess that would be it
Dr. Jo :

Please also remember you can return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more at any time at no additional charge to you.

Customer: That's good to know
Dr. Jo :

Yes. If you are ready to leave the chat, you may enter the excellent rating. But you can still return later.

Customer: Ok
Customer: Thanks
Dr. Jo :

I'll be notified of any response via email and will do my best to help.

Customer: Great job
Customer: Bye for now
Dr. Jo :

Thank YOU for using our website and for trying to take the best care of Hulk possible.

Customer: And thanks
Dr. Jo :

You're welcome.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.