Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: KishwarAzad

Customer Question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: KishwarAzad
Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM
Subject: Re: I'm checking in about your Vet question
To: "Dr. Susan"
Cc: Kishwar Azad
You have been an invaluable support to us!I have a couple of queries.
Three of our 8 cats developed discharging ear. Toffee's was the worst with purulent discharge from one ear. Then our gorgeous odd eyed cat, Snowflake, and in a day later Tiger developed similar but less severe symptoms. The affected ears in all cats were tender. The symptoms developed practically overnight. I started Ceftriaxone injection 125mg OD. The ears have cleared up! The cats hate oral antibiotics and end up salivating and vomiting! Tomorrow if the political situation is not volatile, I will send them to the vet for microscopy to exclude mites.
Jag, our sweet GSD, with an awful case of Demodectic Mange is doing well on daily oral administration of Ivermectin injection. No new patches have appeared. The ones already present are healing nicely.
We all feel that Jag has turned the corner. He is also eating well! As per your advice I will get skin scraping done in a month after initiation of treatment, ( started on 15/2). Since Jag loves locally made sweets (made from milk and mostly flour), we hide the Ivermectin in the sweet and Jag readily gulps it!
I really hope the local vets learn from Jag's experience. Being a paediatrician myself has helped awfully! I always wondered how weekly injections of Ivermectin could work because obviously drug levels wouldn't be maintained. Thank you for your advice:
I haven't been able to get hold of Benzoyl peroxide shampoo. Is there any other shampoo which can be used? Amitraz solution is available. I would appreciate your advice. I tried to get hold of Benzoyl peroxide shampoo in London, but it could not be bought over the counter! I ordered it from Amazon but unfortunately it didn't arrive before I left London.
I have taken up a lot of your time! Thanks for bearing with me!
Warm regards
Kishwar
Sent from my iPhone
On 16 Feb 2015, at 15:25, Dr. Susan wrote:
Are you finished with your Vet question? | If you are unable to view this message correctly, click here
JustAnswer
Please check your Vet question
Hi Kishwar,
Recently, I helped you with your Vet question on JustAnswer.
Please double-check your question to make sure you've completed the following steps:
Do you have more Vet questions for the Veterinarians and I on JustAnswer?
Did you give me a rating?
View Your Question
Sincerely,
Dr. Susan
Veterinarian
Ask a Lawyer – I know experienced Lawyers who can answer your pressing Legal questions.
Ask a Doctor – There are wonderful Doctors in all specialties who can offer you helpful Medical information.
Ask a Tech Support Specialist – From Mac to PC, the Techs on JustAnswer are patient and knowledgable.
Facebook Twitter Google Plus
Contact Support | Unsubscribe | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
This message was delivered to you, *****@******.***, a member of JustAnswer because you asked a(n) Vet question. If you wish to unsubscribe to future communications please click here.
Copyright 2015 JustAnswer LLC. All rights reserved. JustAnswer is a trademark of JustAnswer LLC. P.O. Box 29045, San Francisco, CA 94129.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi Kishwar!

Dr. Susan :

I'm glad to hear that Jag is improving already.

Dr. Susan :

Since you are already seeing regrowth of hair in the existing lesions, I don't think you really need the peroxide shampoo.

Dr. Susan :

It can be helpful for resolution, but I think the quick response you are seeing with Jag is already quite positive.

Dr. Susan :

I'm glad to hear that your kitties improved with the injection - other than ear mites I cannot think of another problem that would affect the ears of multiple cats at once!

Dr. Susan :

I think your plan to have them checked for mites is perfect.

Dr. Susan :

Amitraz dips are another method of treatment for the demodectic mange, but again, since the response to oral ivermectin is so good I do not think it necessary. If desired for faster resolution, it IS safe to use the amitraz and oral ivermectin at the same time.

Dr. Susan :

Amitraz dips can be somewhat inconvenient though, as you must soak the dog and allow to air dry in the shade only.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have other questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service you seek.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope all's well at your end and that you haven't been affected too much by the snow.
A small new circumscribed lesion appeared near Jag's ear but has cleared up quickly. The rest of him has healed nicely He is back to his own self, eating well, barking and playing ball etc.
Jag has been on treatment since 15/2 and I was wondering when it,would be safe to have him neutered. He is still quite thin.
Thanks, ***** ***** always!
Best
Kishwar
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
The stress of surgery can cause a flare up...For that reason, it may be best to get him neutered now before his skin is completely healed. Otherwise we may see him go from a cure to full blown demodectic mange again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been asked by Jag's local vet which procedure we preferred 1) vasectomy or 2) castration.
Could you give your opinion, please?
Thanks as always!
Kishu
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Honestly, I have never heard of anyone offering vasectomy in a dog! I don't think there have been any studies done to compare long term effects of these two surgeries.
I am somewhat biased, since all we do in the US is castrations. However, I still think I would prefer this given the option. The reason is that castration removes the source of testosterone, the testes. Testosterone can influence behavior, increasing the likelihood of dog-dog aggression, urine marking, and wandering.
Medically, intact male dogs can have more prostate problems - prostatitis and BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy). We can also see testicular tumors like sertoli cell tumors.
Ultimately, it's up to you. I would choose the castration, but again, I'm biased.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Susan! I was a bit surprised, too. I looked up the Internet before I spoke to Jag's vet.
We also have two girls, a GSD and a Lab. They used to be the best of friends but now are at each other's throats! Will they still hate each other if Jag is neutered. Or is the answer to the problem is to spay one of them. We don't have the heart to give either of them away. They are both adorable!
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I definitely think spaying and neutering the whole crew would increase our chances that they can coexist peacefully!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha ha ha!
Will follow your advice. Hope the solution will be 'the rule' and 'not an exception!' 😺
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susan
Jag is doing nicely., is much more active and wanting to eat more! The lesions have healed well, with a very few almost there. Skin scraping done 4 days ago showed 4 mites in one field as opposed to many before your treatment was initiated just over a month ago.
Jag had a bath with benzoyl peroxide shampoo ( I think it's only 2%), which I got from Kolkata, India. I notice he has 'dandruff', not severe, affecting most of the skin, though not over the chest.
Does he need anything to be applied or any special shampoo (similar to humans)?
We are hoping to have him neutered in the first week of April. We are going to India to attend a conference on Diabetes in Pregnancy, and I would rather be at home when he has his surgery.
With unfailing gratitude from all of us
Kishu
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I am so pleased to hear that Jag continues to do well with out plan! The dandruff is not serious. For now you can give him a fish oil supplement in his food (omega 3 fatty acids) to improve his coat condition and relieve any dryness.
:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Susan! Take care! You are such a gem!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****
I hope you can remember Jag, my GSD with a horrible case of demodectic mange. He is fine now and looks like a handsome GSD. The last skin scraping showed 3 mites in a field from the foot but none from several scrapings from the body. Jag has been on Ivermectin since February. Is it safe to carry on? His treatment according to your regime started on 15th Feb'15.
Thank you for your help!
Best
Kishu
Sent from my iPad
On 8 Mar 2015, at 1:01 am, JustAnswer wrote:
JustAnswer I've answered your Vet question
View Your Answer
I just answered your Vet question on JustAnswer. Please view your answer as soon as possible. If you need more help, I am online right now and can provide you with more information. View your answer >
View Your Answer
Sincerely,
Dr. Susan
Veterinarian
Contact Us | My Account | Terms of Service | Privacy & Security
You received this service message because the e-mail address***@******.*** was used to register for an account at JustAnswer.co.uk. If you feel that you have received this message in error, please visit our customer service center here.
Copyright 2015 JustAnswer. All rights reserved. JustAnswer is a registered trademark of JustAnswer LLC, P.O. Box 29045, San Francisco, CA 94129.