Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

, My dog has a really aggressive lump on his front leg it's

Customer Question

My dog has a really aggressive lump on his front leg it's slightly bigger than a golf ball, very hard and has some small raised pimple like spots.
A vet had told us it was cancerous & due to his age he probably wouldn't recommend surgery. He's 13 and the lump has grown rapidly over the past 4 months. It hasn't bothered him and he is still eating & loves his walks, however he passes wind often which is putrid.
I've noticed he has just started to lick the lump this evening a lot. I'm so worried, I wish he would pass away in his sleep but he still seems so active & happy but how large will this lump get? Is it causing him pain? I just don't know what to do.
Thanks for listening..
Kate
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Buster's rapidly growing, hard, mass on his front leg with raised pimple like spots on it.
I am very glad to hear that Buster is still eating well and enjoying his walks. That tells me that he isn't miserable and that this lump isn't interfering too much with his quality of life at this point. However if he is licking it, it is uncomfortable. The discomfort may be due to the pressure of the lump on tissues around it, the lump interfering with his normal gait and ability to comfortably use that leg, or a secondary bacterial infection that often accompany cancer.
If it has grown rapidly in the last 4 months I expect it will continue to do so. If surgery is not an option then our goal should be extending his good quality of life by controlling discomfort/pain and any secondary infections. At some point the mass will likely ulcerate and drain as it grows bigger, outgrowing its blood supply and being bumped and traumatized as he moves around.
If you are not ready to let him go gracefully quite yet, and I'm not sure I would be either with a fellow that still seems quite happy then I would ask your veterinarian to prescribe antibiotic therapy to control secondary infections, as well as an anti-inflammatory like Metacam (meloxicam) or carprofen and pain medication like tramadol and/or gabapentin. There is no reason we cannot do our best to keep Buster as happy and as comfortable as possible as long as possible.
Best of luck with Buster, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, please let me know how things go for Buster, Dr. Kara.