Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My ***** ***** dog is ill after her annual booster jab for

Customer Question

My ***** ***** dog is ill after her annual booster jab for about three days.
Is it essential that dogs are given this jab and what is the average cost of the jab?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bruce :

Vaccines should be tailored to the individual dog. If she is not a dog that spends any time with other dogs (boarding, playing, dog park, grooming, etc) then it may not be necessary to give all the vaccinations. This would be something to discuss with her vet.

Dr. Bruce :

For me, I look at the history and if I have a dog that is a little older (such as more than 5 years old) and has been up to date on vaccines, then I tend to back off on the vaccines.

Dr. Bruce :

I will also do titers. This is a blood test to evaluate levels of antibodies in the blood. This test gives me some idea if the dog is protected against the major diseases so that vaccination is not necessary. Titers are not 100% diagnostic, but I am comfortable using them.

Dr. Bruce :

If your vet recommends giving certain vaccines because of her lifestyle, then it would be a good idea to pre treat her to prevent the reaction that you see. The vet can give a dose of cortisone at the time of the vaccines, and then you can give Benadryl at 1mg/pound every 8 hours for 2 days after the vaccines are given. This will often eliminate the post vaccine illness that you describe. If she weighs 15 pounds, then give her 1/2 of a 25mg Benadryl as her dose.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.