Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My 5 yr old springer spaniel has had a hard bony lump on head

My 5 yr old springer spaniel has had a hard bony lump on head for over 12 mths. My vet thinks it may be masticatory myositis although there are no other symptoms. He sent blood for a 2M anti body test which he says has come back as borderline. He now wants to carry out a biopsy, for which he is charging £1400. I am insured but feel that this is an exorbinate charge . Moreover i am concerned that it may not be necessary and would like to get a further opinion. I am registered with another vet outside of London for holiday purposes. Should i refer to them
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with Emma.

Dr. Bruce :

That does seem like a lot of money to do a muscle biopsy. I think that it would be a very good idea to get a second opinion.

Dr. Bruce :

I do agree that getting a biopsy on a lump is a good idea, but I don't know how that price has come about. I am typically able to do a needle biopsy for less than $200. Although the needle biopsy is not going to be entirely diagnostic in all cases, it is a good first test to do to screen for something that may or may not be serious.

Dr. Bruce :

As for whether this is myositis, it doesn't sound like it to me. Usually there is pain opening the mouth, and possible muscle atrophy. See this article http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1755

Dr. Bruce :

Since you indicate that Emma has no other symptoms, it makes me less suspicious that masticatory myositis is a real concern.

Dr. Bruce :

I would certainly start with the needle biopsy, see what you get, and then make a decision as to whether this lump needs to be removed or can just be monitored.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and that Emma does well. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.