Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My maine coone has been silent and withdrawn few hours.

Customer Question

My maine coone has been silent and withdrawn for a few hours. He's drinking a fair bit but hasn't shown interest in anything else. No sign of injuries. He's also not groomed himself properly today - signs of faeces on his face and bum
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. He does sound like he doesn't feel well at all. . .not cleaning himself off. In order to know if we can safely wait to see if he continues to not feel by tomorrow, we need to determine that he does not have a bladder obstruction, that his gums are a normal color pink, and that he is breathing OK. Do you know that he can urinate normally?

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

I haven't seen anything to suggest he can't, although he hasn't left our room in the last 3 hours. His gums seem to be their normal colour

Dr. Barbara :

So he hasn't been trying to urinate without success. . .this is good. Urinary blockage is very serious to fatal and occurs most often in male cats. He would show distress in trying to urinate, so at least at this time, this is not a problem.

Dr. Barbara :

Very good that his gums are nicely pink, and I assume he is breathing fine.

Dr. Barbara :

Can he walk normally?

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

Seems to be, he seems more lethargic than anything. He's normally very active and vocal

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

He's walking normally but I'd say slower than usual

Dr. Barbara :

Cats will do that with fevers or pain somewhere. Does he go outdoors? I ask, because often after cats have been in a fight they will be very lethargic and slow, even if there are no wounds. Can you see any bite wounds on him. . .areas on him where the fur is matted with serum are tell tale. I will slowly run my hands over a cats body and legs to see if I can feel any fur that is stuck together.

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

He's usually an outdoor cat - we've kept him in since we noticed he was off-colour. We've checked him our and can't see any evidence of fighting

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for checking. It's sounds like he is stable to just wait until tomorrow to see what happens. Of course, watch to see what he does in the box; see if he has more diarrhea and make sure that he isn't trying to urinate without success.

Dr. Barbara :

Please also clean off his face and his perianal area with a warm moist towel, and I put his food and water and litter within easy reach for him. Where are you located. . .UK?

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

Thanks for your help, I think I just needed reassuring he wasn't in need of urgent attention. I'll keep an eye on him

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

Yes, I'm Northwest UK

Dr. Barbara :

That's the conclusion I'm arriving at also. The time there is just after midnight, so if in the morning he isn't doing any better, then take him in.

Dr. Barbara :

Does that work for you?

JACUSTOMER-daxrmmk5- :

That's fine, thank you for your advice

Dr. Barbara :

You are welcome. I do hope he is feeling normal again in the morning. I'd like to hear, if I may :-)

Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Thanks so much for your very kind rating and a bonus! Greatly appreciated!
How is your Maine Coon kitty doing by today? Did you have to visit your vet there, or did he start feeling better on his own?
Hope to hear back from you. . .
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We had to take him to an emergency vet on Saturday night as he started vomiting - he was dehydrated and had diarrhoea as well. He's responded well to an overnight drip and has started eating so we should be able to bring him home in a few hours :)

I'm so glad that you were able to get him the emergency care that he needed and that he is doing so well!!!!
Wonderful news and thank you for letting me know!
Dr. Barbara