Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

We have poorly 8 yrs schnauzer who 10 days ago became

Customer Question

We have poorly 8 yrs schnauzer bitch who 10 days ago became lethargic, had painful distendeded, abdomen. Was examined x-rayed, blood test for pancreatitis both clear. Given anti-biotic shot. Improved over next few days - was off food a bit but still ate, drank more than usual, but lost weight steadilly. Pooed & wee'd ok nothing unusual or painful. Last 2-3 days gone down hill, still eating and drinking, but lost more weight and very lethargic. Started licking rear end a lot going back to local vet this morning for further diagnostics (bloods and ultrasound), but interested in other opinion. Only notable history - she was in season end of Jan about 4 weeks before she came ill and we wondered about possible Pyometra and she had a tick last year but symptom dont seem to match Lymes disease. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of Meg's condition. Your suspicion about pyometra is almost certainly the correct diagnosis, based on the symptoms and her response to antibiotics. While there are several other conditions that might cause similar symptoms, the clinical picture you've presented perfectly fits that of an intact middle-aged female recently having been in heat. If she is indeed suffering from pyometra, Meg needs immediate attention and surgery to remove the infected uterus and the bacterial toxins being released into her body. She is in dire danger of her uterus rupturing among other potentially lethal complications. Do not delay, get her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. This is an emergency situation. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Bob,

thank you for the advice - very clear and spot on. We have taken Meg to Vet strait away this morning and diagnosis was confirmed and she is now in surgery.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards, Kim

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome Kim! I hope all goes well for her. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Warm regards, *****