Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My shih tzu x lasa apso 1 year old dog didn't seem himself,

My shih tzu x lasa apso 1 year old dog didn't seem himself, he wouldn't walk round the house, so we took him to the vets, they said his anal glands was abit swollen and his back leg felt tight, the little monkey is very happy going for a walk and doing his business then, but when we get back home he just stays in his bed, I have to carry him everywhere in the house, is this my fault, what can I do, need help thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your questions about about your pup.

Dr. Jo :

Can you please tell me his name? Just type in what you want to say then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth.

Dr. Jo :

When I look over the situation you are describing the very first thought that comes to mind is that this is probably something more than anal gland pain affecting him.

Dr. Jo :

If it were only anal gland pain, he would have felt relief after having them emptied during his trip to the vet.

Dr. Jo :

If he is vigorous and strong on his walks, able to run, jump, play and tear around absolutely normally, I doubt this is an actually physical injury. It's possible that it's just a behavioral "game" he is playing with you because he likes it when you fret over him and carry him around the house.

Dr. Jo :

If, however, you see any of the following:

Dr. Jo :

-lameness

Dr. Jo :

-reluctance to jump and run and play ALL the time

Dr. Jo :

-loss of appetite

Dr. Jo :

-weight loss

Dr. Jo :

-vomiting

Dr. Jo :

-diarrhea

Dr. Jo :

-labored breathing

Dr. Jo :

then I'd be inclined to think there is some type of illness that was too mild to be detected at your first trip to the vet. If that's the case, then a second trip to the vet may be in order. It may be necessary to look deeper for the source of the problem by doing things like x-rays, blood work, and/or urinalysis.

Dr. Jo :

The good news is your pup is young and the odds are in your favor that this isn't a serious problem.

Dr. Jo :

I understand you'd like to know if this is your fault. That shows you're a wonderful, caring, and concerned owner, and that's a very good thing. Unfortunately, in order to answer that, I'd have to know exactly what the problem is.

Dr. Jo :

If this is indeed a game he is playing because he likes getting you to do things like carry him, then it sort of is your fault for being willing to play along. In other words, if you didn't carry him, he'd have to get around the house on his own.

Dr. Jo :

But if this is really due to a physical problem or ailment, you have to wait until a diagnosis is made to know what can be done to prevent or treat the problem.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are no longer offline.

Dr. Jo :

I'm happy to continue discussing this with you, especially if the information I've provided so far has prompted new questions.

Dr. Jo :

But this is the most complete answer I can give at this time, without further input on your end.

Dr. Jo :

I want to be as helpful as possible.

Dr. Jo :

So please let me know what else I can do.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His name is ***** ***** can run,jump and play, runs around while walking, I only started carrying him while he was poorly, one day, now he wants me to carry him everytime, he was fine before that, he'd play with our other two dogs, go outside, jump on to his bunkbed, that I made them, all the things dogs do, he's been like this for two days now, they all get treated the same as we love them all to bit and all our attention is on them, I never had to carry him when he had his little bits done, so why now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His name is ***** ***** can run, jump and play, he runs around while walking, I only started carrying him while he was poorly, one day, now he wants me to carry all the time, he was fine before that, he'd play with our other two dogs, go outside, jump on to his bunk bed, that it made them,all the things dogs do,he's been like this for two days now, all our dogs get treated the same, as we love them all to bits, all our attention is on them, they are our world, I never had to carry him when he had is little bits done, so why now
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
It sounds as if you are indeed taking wonderful care of him and your other two dogs.
The fact that you didn't have to carry him after his neuter surgery doesn't really have anything to do with the present situation. Dogs will act differently at different times in response to different circumstances.
When you wrote, "... he was fine before that, he'd play with our other two dogs, go outside, jump on to his bunk bed, that it made them,all the things dogs do,he's been like this for two days now..." that makes me think he is no longer doing those things.
Am I understanding you correctly?
A dog who is completely healthy and is playing a game to get you to carry him places will still be able to run, jump, and play when he wants to.
But if he is staying in bed 100% of the time and has no energy to do anything, he definitely needs another trip to the vet, because this isn't an anal gland problem.
Is he just fine some of the time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just had some family over and was jumping all over them, I think it's me, he's playing with me, can dogs do that, I will take him back to the vet to morrow to be on the safe side, thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm happy to help. Please remember you can return here at any time to ask more at no additional charge to you.
I'm glad to hear it sounds as if he is just playing a game with you. Sounds like he is a very clever puppy, and YES! They love to play games with people where they get them to do things. Some dogs are excellent People Trainers!
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, and remember to rate my response on your way out of the chat.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm just checking in on you and Travis. How are things going?