Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have an 8 year old staffi cross she is healthy and happy

I have an 8 year old staffi cross she is healthy and happy but lately she has a rumbling stomach and eats lots of grass then few hours later she is fine but yesterday I noticed bloody mucus in her stool and then this morning a bit of blood in her stool, she is ready for being wormed could that be the cause/
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any vomiting?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is she lethargic?
5- What is the name of the deworming medication?
6- Is she on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She had been chewing a ball. Only medication she has is priobotics. She is lively and you wouldn,t think anything was wrong.. Weighs about 18 k and I usually worm her with johnsons dewormers I was going to do it in the morning but should I wait few days.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jan, when we see blood or mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Can this be caused by parasites? Yes. Other possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.
3- Continue supplementing with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation as you already know.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. You can go ahead and give her the dewormer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter