Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have found fleas in my house that I've just moved into, we

I have found fleas in my house that I've just moved into, we don't have a pet it was the previous owner, I have an 8 week old baby is it safe to use the flea powder on the carpets?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about treating the home for fleas. I understand that you have a new baby and no pets of your own so the problem is a left over from the previous occupants.
Ideally your new baby would not be exposed to any flea killing chemicals. Although the products we have now are much safer than they used to be none are 100% safe, especially for a newborn.
Your little one should be out of the home for a good 48 hours no matter what you choose to do.
I understand that the pets are gone, so no more fleas should be brought in but please realize that only 5% of the flea population lives on the pets, the rest is in the environment, so there is a large left behind population to deal with.
You have two options. One is to treat yourself, the other is a professional treatment.
If you choose to treat yourself here are some suggestions:
You need to vacuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where pets like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum and throw away the bag, otherwise the fleas hatch in bag and return to the environment.
I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M
The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.
The other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and surrounding outdoors. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.
The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.
I understand that asking you to leave the home with a new baby isn't ideal, but it is the safest and will allow aggressive treatment that will be most effective at getting rid of the fleas much faster.