Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

, in January of last year my cat received a bite from another

Customer Question

Hi, in January of last year my cat received a bite from another cat which caused an unpleasant abscess which needed a significant amount of treatment. Following the abscess one of her claws grew into one of her pads and caused an infection. Subsequent to this infection other claws became infected and we were told she had a nail bed infection. Many tests later we now know she has cat aids - a condition she did not have prior to the abscess. Since June of last year we have regularly been wiping her paws, washing her paws and using antibacterial cream on most of her claws. In addition to this to stop her licking her paws she has been wearing a cone and had an apple spray applied. She is such a lovely, gentle cat I am doing as much as I can to try and improve her situation. At one point we seemed to have reduced the infection to one claw on one paw. However with work commitments and a misdiagnosis from the veterinary nurse who said she felt the paws were back too normal the infection has returned. For the last three weeks the vet has been using laser treatment (twice a week) in conjunction with antibiotics to see if this will help reduce the unpleasant infection. After so much intensive treatment I'm finding it very difficult to remain positive - I would like my cat to return to a normal life and would very much welcome some external advice on this condition before I back to the vet's for further laser treatment. (My vet seems very caring and equally concerned, but I'm not sure what will happen when the insurance company stops paying for the cat's treatment in May. We seem no further forward, despite all the expensive treatment, than July of last year. My only consolation is that our seven year old cat remains generally happy, friendly and willing to play with toys throughout this treatment). Tonight my vet plans to give me details of a vet who specialises in this type of condition. As of last week I was told that my Cat in addition to cat aids might have Pemphigus and that the specialist may be able to help. Any advice prior to this next consultation would be greatly welcomed. I'm sorry this is such a detailed explanation, but it has and continues to be a challenging condition to treat.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin :

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Dr. Michael Salkin :

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would have declawed Tickles long ago which would have obviated the need to treat medically for such a very long time. Whether there was a bacterial infection or autoimmune disorder, declawing should be curative. Please let me know if this has been discussed with you and why it hasn't been performed.

JACUSTOMER-bv0wio8k- :

When things seemed to be going backwards rather than forward I raised this point myself. I was reluctant to suggest it as I believed it would be a very painful experience for the cat in the short term and might also be viewed as cruel. I was told that it isn't something they generally do, but know of people elsewhere in the world who ask this to be done in order to protect their furniture. It doesn't appear to be an option at the moment.

We do avoid elective declawing for the reasons you mentioned but in this case it's not elective but, instead, an appropriate surgical approach for such a patient. I would push for it to be done, Fiona. When done properly it's a very quick procedure and appropriate analgesia can eliminate the expected post-operative pain. If necessary, please consider a specialist veterinary surgeon as can be found here: http://vetspecialists.co.uk/clinical_services/soft_tissue_surgery.html and here: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/soft-tissue-surgery

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.