Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

One of my peach face lovebirds died suddenly overnight with

Customer Question

One of my peach face lovebirds died suddenly overnight with no apparent symptoms previously. I have removed it from the cage and thoroughly cleaned it and replaced all food/water. The other bird appears healthy and lively but a little unsettled. Should I take it in for examination and should I also consider introducing a new companion in the future. The original two were co-hatchlings not a breeding pair and 18 months old.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss. Yes, it would be prudent to see if the cause of Spice's death could be determined. Your thorough cleaning and disinfecting the cage should remove any possibility of infectious and contagious disease, however, to a new bird. It's possible, though, that Spice's companion has already been exposed to such an infectious agent. Lovebirds are quite social and so introducing a new companion in the future is a healthy thing to do. Please see here for choosing the sex of a new bird that you desire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIJcJ4gqa0c

Performing a thorough necropsy on Spice can be pricey. Ask your vet for a reference or contact the following who should be able to direct you to a nearby facility:

Professor John E Cooper FRCVS

(Attention of Mrs Chrissie Willers, Gresham Laboratory/Post-mortem Room)

Department of Veterinary Medicine

University of Cambridge

Madingley Road

Cambridge CB3 0ES

(‘phone 07940-571340 or 01223- 337600)

Remember to refrigerate - not freeze - Spice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.