Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

My cat was put to sleep peacefully yesterday. The vet explained

My cat was put to sleep peacefully yesterday. The vet explained that my cats eyes would stay open after the injection had been given which they did but once home (we wanted to bury him at home in the garden) his eyes had closed. I wondered if this is normally what happens?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for you questio. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.

At the moment of death, the muscles relax completely— they eyes open at this point because it is actually muscle contraction that closes them. But about 2-4 hours later the muscles begin to stiffen (rigor mortis). This can cause the eyes to close.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions or need more imformation please let me know.

Dr. Stacy