How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 16726
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

Sorry it is so early but I dropped 1 x 500mg paracetamol tablet

Resolved Question:

Sorry it is so early but I dropped 1 x 500mg paracetamol tablet which my 1 year old Patterdale (8/10 kg) bitch swallowed about 15 mins ago. Should I do anything.
regards
Barry
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup Poppy ate 500mgs of paracetamol (acetaminophen).

We see toxicity symptoms in dogs at a dose of acetaminophen higher then 75 mg per kilogram of body weight. At 8 to 10 kilograms she would need to eat 600mgs to 750mgs of acetaminophen. (8kg X 75mg/kg = 600mg, 10kilograms X 75mg/kg = 750mgs). So she did not eat a toxic dose if she only ate 500mgs. You should not see any symptoms of toxicity in her.

Signs to watch for with acetaminophen toxicity would be brown or gray colored gums, difficulty breathing, edema or swelling of the face, neck, legs or feet, vomiting, yellow color to the skin and in very severe cases coma.

I would encourage her to drink plenty of water tonight and watch her closely, but at the dose she ate she should be fine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you