DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

My neutered 8 yr old male cat has lost weight and has lost

My neutered 8 yr old male cat has lost weight and has lost fur in the back half of his body. His gential area seems more distended/prominent, too. His lower abdomen seems to be paler and the fur that is on his lower back seems grey; his distinctive tabby markings have faded. Could you advise me what might be wring with him, please?
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Typically, when a cat is losing hair along the back or the back of the rear limbs, and especially if they are licking the area, over grooming, or itching the back legs it is usually allergies. In this case likely atopy or inhalent allergies.

In some cases, long scabs might form along the back of the legs as well. We term that eosinophilic granuloma complex. But it is all a form of allergic reaction

The gold standard for testing is intradermal skin testing. This is usually done in a Veterinary Deramtology office.

It is important to rule out other causes as well and certain tests should be done :

- trichogram - this is a hair pluck and culture to look for ring worm
- skin scrape - this is not a common area for mites to occur, but it is best to rule out demodex as a cause as well.

Especially important to do both of those tests before starting any type of steroid therapy as that can make it worse.

BEST treatment possible would be avoidance of exposure. You would have to know what is causing the allergy in order to do this. If something is new in your home like a plant, or air freshener, fabric softener, candles, new pet, etc... this could be the cause. Eliminate it and see if it gets better. But, other than putting the pet in a bubble, this might be necessary.

Hyposensitization shots are done after skin testing at the Dermatologists. This is a series of shots that will desensitize your pet to the allergen over a period of time. People have often had this done. The success rate is reported to be about 75% - not bad.

Steroids are often used -- prednisolone has been used every other day at about 1mg/pound. Injectable steroid has been given as well every 4 weeks as an alternative (depomedrol). Side effects can occur, including diabetes, secondary infections, worsening of other secondary infections.

SECONDARY treatment includes:
Antihistamines - Chlorpheniramine isa good one at about 2mg/cat by mouth every 12 hours, and sometimes three times daily.

Fatty acids - Derm Caps is a brand I use and like, but there are others. You will want to discuss this with your Vet.

Please be advised that this can take 6-12 weeks to resolve with treatment. It will take patience and commitment.