Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has just been diagnosed with cancer of the mouth, Plasmacytoma

Customer Question

My dog has just been diagnosed with cancer of the mouth, Plasmacytoma ? mucoutineais ?
awaiting stain test, to rule out myeloma. The mass has appeared suddenly and is located at the front of her mouth bottom jaw. Please can you tell me possible prognosis ? Was told they would have to remove half of her bottom jaw if not more. been offered Radiotheraphy but I know how drastic the side effects are and that a cure wasn't insured.. Please advise. My dog is just 9 years old
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While any rapidly growing mass is worrisome, I need to know what the final assessment is before being able to give you a prognosis. Do you have a copy of the initial biopsy report which you could upload to our conversation? You could scan it into your computer and then give me the link or you could photograph it and upload it as an image by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

I'm hopeful that a mass in that area is one of the epulides - a local gingival growth which is benign - doesn't metastasize.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, I don't have access to the biopsy report it is with my vet, but I will try and get a copy, We were referred to The Royal Vet Hosp. Potters Bar. We are in England.

We were told this was a cancerous tumour, and the stain test was to make sure it wasn't Myeloma, although suspected..

We do not want to put our girl through Radiotherapy if the outlook is poor. We would rather she had a good few months with no sickness or burns/ulcers if there wasn't a chance of a cure.

Pointless having more time if that time is spent in pain. At the moment she is eating/playing and does not appear to be in any pain.

I agree that such therapy should be avoided if possible. The best scenario is that local surgery - if not curative - can be palliative enough to maintain her good quality of life. Please do get a copy of the report so I can be more accurate for you. Please return to this conversation rather than opening up a new question. I'll watch for your next post.