Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Australian Shepherd (9 years old) has just recovered from

My Australian Shepherd (9 years old) has just recovered from a bought of diarrhea having been treated with Pro-Lolin and has been on half measures of his usual food (dry Pro Plan Adult sentive Salmon). He is now constipated but not unwell, obviously trying to pass something but unable to do so. This is the second day and I want to sort it as soon as possible. Since he has a very sensitive digestive system, I'm worried that any constipation remedy or medicine will bring on the diarrhea again. Can you help me please? What do you suggest I do for him? Thank you.
Nova
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'ms sorry to hear that your fellow Raven is experiencing some continued discomfort after recovering from a bout of diarrhea and I understand that you don't want to do anything to cause the diarrhea to restart.
Pro-Lolin (Pro-kolin?) is a kaolin-pectin plus probiotic paste that should not lead to constipation. It absorbs excess water and bacterial toxins and replaces "good" bacteria, which are often decreased in numbers after a bout of diarrhea. If you are still using it though I would stop.
Sometimes dogs that have had diarrhea/colitis will experience the feeling that they need to pass stools, even when there is nothing there. That may be what is going on with your fellow.
Things that you can try to help him include increasing the amount of fluid intake by adding warm water or low salt chicken or beef broth to his meals, and adding small amounts of fiber to soothe his colon irritation. You can add fiber by adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) or Metamucil (psyllium fiber) to his meals.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Re Raven's constipation!

Is butter nut squash the same as the pumpkin that you recommended for constipation? I live in UK...we don't see pumpkin on sale in my local shops! I've given my dog a little puréed butter nut squash with his dinner, hoping it has similar properties and has the same desired effect.... ??

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that you are having trouble finding pumpkin. For some reason I've had a fair number of UK people tell me that. Although they aren't quite the same butternut squash is a reasonable alternative as it has increased fiber as well. It also has a high water content so you shouldn't need to add much. I'd start with a teaspoon or two and see what effect it has.