Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

our young 4 year old male cat has gone off his food and staying

our young 4 year old male cat has gone off his food and staying in sleeping a lot. He is a hunter and loves to be outside in the fields, but hes just not interested and hes not eating as much. He has been to the vet last week who diagnosed a virus. He seemed to be a lot better at the weekend, but I think hes gone back to how he was. He's always drunk a lot of water since a kitten, although he isn't drinking as much at the moment.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I think we need to begin some more aggressive diagnostic testing to see what is going on with him.

Dr. Susan :

It certainly isn't normal for a 4 year old cat to be so lethargic with a decreased appetite.

Dr. Susan :

I am worried about kidney problems, liver problems, pancreatitis, etc.

Dr. Susan :

I highly recommend having him rechecked by your local vet. This time, request that they run some blood testing to check his major organ function. I would also include the fPL test to look specifically for pancreatitis.

Dr. Susan :

Hopefully these will be enough to give us a diagnosis so that we may begin a treatment plan.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.