aggieervet
aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian and owner for over 5 years.
64451712

i don't know if this is a vet question ! but my 8 month female

Customer Question

i don't know if this is a vet question ! but my 8 month female kitten went missing for 4 days fist time getting out the house, i was totally distraught but suddenly she walked back in the door four days later. this is now 3 weeks on and she never been back out but she is always wanting to be fed what can coz this she has not been dressed yet as i was told she had to be 8 months. could it b worms please help so worried
Expert:  aggieervet replied 1 year ago.
aggieervet :

Hi! My name s Shawn and I’m a licensed vet and would like to assist you with your concerns. I have a few questions for you so that I can best assist you.

aggieervet :

Did it seem like your kitten lost weight while she was gone or did you notice any other problems (besides the appetite change)?

aggieervet :

Also have you changed her diet at all?

aggieervet :

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

aggieervet :

It appears you are no longer offline so I switch to a Q&A format.

Expert:  aggieervet replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry i didn't relies we would chat right away . my kitten had some diorrea the first few days after she came home and looked a bit thinner at time but i put this down to not having eaten in days. last week she passed a very small amount of blood a few times over an hour but not in her feces. i have not changed her diet at all. no vomiting what so ever but i think she is urinating a lot more. she seem fine in her self very affectionate, a bit more so that usual but she is eating one whole packet of food more + bowl of cat milk i feel this is a lot as she struggled to eat 3 now she can eat 4 no problem

Expert:  aggieervet replied 1 year ago.

Given that she is having diarrhea (with a little blood) and an increased appetite I think it would be best to take her to be seen by your local vet. They will need to do a fecal parasite check to ensure she doesn't have parasites (worms, giardia, etc) that could cause diarrhea and change in appetite +/- vomiting. Depending on the results that may place her on a dewormer or other medications like metronidazole for the diarrhea. They may also recommend doing bloodwork but most likely she either got a parasite or got into some other food that upset her intestines causing a bacterial overgrowth that she's not able to get over herself. You could try her on a bland diet for a few days to see if this helps but typically if it's been going on for more than a few days you'll need some form of medication to get things back to normal.

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D or Iams Low Residue.

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled chicken, hamburger or turkey. Make sure it is boiled to get rid of any skin, fat, and bones that might be present. Offer the meat with mixture of boiled rice – 1/3 meat and 2/3 rice.

If the diet is tolerated and stools improve, and once diarrhea resolves, then it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet over 3-5 days

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

You can always request me specifically for your questions through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or begin your question with “For Aggieeervet”.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.
Let me know if you have any further questions.