Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

there I have a query please we have seen a dog up the road

Customer Question

Hi there I have a query please we have seen a dog up the road from us with an awful growth and we aren't sure what to do we took a photo of the dog and would like to show it to a qualified vet to get an opinion thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I would very much like to see the photo. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to go online on my computer and transfer the photo there I'm on an iPhone and cannot see the paper clip you are talking about thanks
Yes, it won't be possible from your phone. I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok sent that image now thanks

Thank you for the photo, Gail. That's truly a remarkable tumor. The best thing I can say is that it's likely to be benign or very low malignancy because it hasn't killed this dog although it has reached an alarming size. I applaud your wanting to help this misfortunate dog but you need to know what you'd be getting involved with. Removal of a tumor of such size would necessitate the work of a specialist veterinary surgeon. Reconstructive surgery ("plastic surgery") would be necessary following removal. Pre-operative blood work and X-rays would be necessary prior to surgery because we don't know if this dog is capable of undergoing the extensive anesthesia necessary. Your expense would be considerable - in the thousands of euros. Unfortunately, the great majority of vets would take one look at this dog and recommend euthanasia - particularly if the dog is aged as I expect.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?