Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I hit my dog earlier with the ball throw stick unfortunately

I hit my dog earlier with the ball throw stick unfortunately harder then I wanted as he was aggressive towards another dog. He dropped to the ground crying and started trying to paw his face. He seems very dopey now and his left eye doesn't look right. It's not as open as the other and doesn't respond as well as the other. My dad says I'm being paranoid? Should I try and find an emergency vet or wait til the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Cai's eye.
Because we know that he had trauma to that eye, he is holding it differently, and is obviously uncomfortable I think seeking emergency care for him tonight is best.
I suspect his lethargy is pain related.
We do not want him to rub that eye and you shouldn't either. If he is rubbing it then he should have an elizabethan (lampshade) collar put on him so that he cannot reach his eye.
With blunt trauma it is likely he has a corneal ulcer (scrape to the clear outer part of the eye) which is very painful and if it is deep enough the eye can rupture. Secondary infection is a real possibility because he was hit with something. Dogs with a corneal ulcer will often squint, try to rub the eye either with a paw or against something, behave in a lethargic manner, and avoid bright light.
If that is the extent of his injuries it should heal with time, antibiotic eye drops and pain medication and anti-inflammatories.
But blunt trauma can also cause a luxated lens (the part of the eye in the center of the dark/black pupil that focuses light on his retina) or a detached retina. Both of those should be dealt with promptly to avoid permanent loss of vision or secondary glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye) from developing.
I know that you didn't mean to hurt Cai, and that you are feeling bad, but the best thing to be done now is get him treated appropriately. You would feel much worse if he does have a serious injury and you didn't have him seen tonight.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He isn't rubbing it and he seems ok. Dad says nothing is wrong with him. But the corner of his eye doesn't seem to retract like it should and seems a bit bloodshot. Bit like when their sleeping and the eyes shut. He's being very loveable and does seems to want to put that side of his head into me.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the further information.
I suspect what you are seeing is a raised third eyelid. That comes up as a protective measure in cases of eye trauma or irritation. Here is a link to a picture of a pup with a raised third eyelid:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/attachments/puppy-corner/35842d1369235108-red-third-eye-lid-7month-puppy-help-image.jpg
It's bloodshot due to trauma, either the surface is rubbed a bit or he has a little bleeding/bruising from being hit.
Although he isn't rubbing his eye he is wanting you to put pressure on it, thus his putting that side of his head into you, which means it is uncomfortable.
I've had a corneal ulcer and I can tell you that they hurt, and it feels better when you put pressure on it (as it covers the nerve endings otherwise exposed), but the more it is rubbed the more the cornea is traumatized.
He knows that you are upset, and he is responding to that and trying to behave as normal as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Yes that's what his eye looks
Like. I appreciate your help
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. My best to you and your fellow, Dr. Kara.