Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My cat is 14 years old and is an indoor cat. He has recently

My cat is 14 years old and is an indoor cat. He has recently started itching and scratching. I flea him every month and use a flea comb regularly and he has no contact with any other animals. His scratching is getting worse and he has small hairless patches appearing on his body from licking/scratching. He has eaten the same food forever.They only thing |I can think of is I bought a new air freshener about 3/4 weeks ago. Should I try anti histamines for him? Apart from the above he is very healthy and happy.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Dan :

What you are describing is a pretty typical condition in cats that is similar to eczema in humans.

Dr. Dan :

Do you feel any rough scabby like areas where he is itching?

Dr. Dan :

Is the area of hair loss just shorter hairs or is he licking those areas completely bald?

Customer:

He is licking both hair and bald parts.

Dr. Dan :

Thanks for the information. If he is that itchy then almost certainly antihistamines will not work.

Dr. Dan :

Antihistamines are wildly ineffective in cats and bitter, so they are hard to give

Dr. Dan :

What you should consider is having him tested for ringworm

Dr. Dan :

If he tests negative then a trial of prednisolone will make him feel better and treat the most common kind of condition that affects cats like this

Dr. Dan :

The condition is called miliary dermatitis an is an immune system abnormality.

Dr. Dan :

The prednisone stops the over reaction of the immune system and he feels better and stops licking his hair off.

Customer:

There are scabby patches.

Dr. Dan :

That makes it almost certainly the miliary dermatitis, if he passes his ringworm test he'll likely respond very nicely to prednisolone from the vet.

Customer:

ok thankyou.