Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

my 4 year old border terrier as had 2 fits in 4 months lasting

Customer Question

my 4 year old border terrier as had 2 fits in 4 months lasting about 5min each time what can I do to help him in time of a fit
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi there, my name is***** am a registered veterinarian and I would like to try to help you.

Customer:

I am sorry to hear about your dog. Border terriers are known to suffer from seizures. Have you taken him to your vet? Has your vet made a diagnosis yet? I'll wait for you to come back online and hopefully we can chat.

JACUSTOMER-lkxe74b1- :

took to vets when he had first fit vet gave no treatment give water with his dry food witch I do , or he could pick some thing up when he out

JACUSTOMER-lkxe74b1- :

going to take Alfie to vet monday

Customer:

Having 2 fits in 4 months usually isnt enough to warrent the side effects of anti-siezure medications and it is usually best not to give these without a proper diagnosis. This can be extremely complicated to do and would certainly involve a number of different tests (and is nothing is found an MRI scan of the brain is usually recommended to check for defects). Sometimes siezures can be caused by infections they can pick up or can even be due to epilepsy. If the siezures are becoming more frequent I would expect your vet would want to start to do some of these tests to find out why they are happening. There is a safe medication your vet could give you to give only when your dog is having a fit, this comes in a rectal supository (a tube you insert into the rectum as you cannot give tablets when a dog is siezuring) this can help to calm him and bring him out of the siezure. The drug is called diazepam. Your vet would need to prescribe this to you.

Customer:

Thanks for your rating, just let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. All the best with Alfie, Sophie