Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My Cat had an abscess behind his eye and the vet did a procedure

Customer Question

Hi My Cat had an abscess behind his eye and the vet did a procedure under anesthetic on Fri afternoon.
the inner lid has gone back to normal, the eye looks less swollen and he is now eating okay. he didn't eat for 24 hours before i took him into the vets.
He was a bit manic when i got him home on Fri and was very woozy. looked and behaved more normally last night but today although he has been out as normal for an hour he seems really sleepy this afternoon.
He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort and letting me stroke him etc.
Do you think it's okay and just the anesthetic aftermath or maybe the Antibiotics making him tired?
No Puss came out when they did the procedure but he had a small hole Lesion in his mouth apparently. Should I be worried?
What do I watch for? He is a very beloved cat.
The Vets said if the Antibiotics don't improve things then he may need an Ultra sound.
What do I gauge as an improvement? he is a very sweet cat who doesn't really moan.
should be examining his jaw for pain?
Appreciate your help here
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Booby Dazzler's condition....I know this is frightening but your vet did the right thing. This condition, called a Retrobulbar abscess is fairly common in cats and most often resolves after treatment. It is not unusual that Booby is still sleepy even 2 days later. This is a traumatic procedure and the anesthetic, although I do not know what your vet used, can take 3-4 days to be removed form his system. From what you are describing, this is still all normal for this procedure. The only time I would worry is if Bobby did not feel well enough to eat and /or became extremely depressed. I really doubt that this would happen but as long as you watch for these symptoms, you will keep your sweet Bobby Dazzler safe and healthy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Many thanks.

We have just had a walk in the garden as he has woken up and his tail is straight up and he was rubbing around my legs so he's perky.

I am hoping although no puss came out when he had this procedure, according to the vet and he didn't have a temperature that it's just the hole in his mouth which has caused cellulitis and nothing else is an issue.

The Vet him opiate and said it was like heroin!

I guess he has done well after that hasn't he xx

I will watch the eating and mood.

Much Appreciation

Kind regards Jo

YOu are very welcome, Jo...I really think Bobby Dazzler will do well especially with your care...

Thank you so much, Jo, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!!