Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon working in companion animal practice.
27746029

My 12 year old cairne terrier had a ear infection a

My 12 year old cairne terrier had a ear infection a few weeks ago and was treated with antibiotics and prednisolone tablets no drops because the ear was to swore , my vet checked him on Friday and said it was all clear but I noticed the last two days since he had his ear checked out he his holding his head to the one side and scratching his ear if I go to examine it he cries out , very sore and red inside. I notice if I massage the ear it feels like if there's water inside the ear moving about.
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 2 years ago.
Sophie-Vet :

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I am a registered veterinarian and I would like to try to help you.

Sophie-Vet :

I am sorry to hear about your dog.

Customer: Ok just wondering if you could give me some adviseb
Sophie-Vet :

The fact that he is crying when you try to touch the ear would certainly be a strong indicator that something is wrong. The treatment he has received would certainly clear most infections up. There is however a possibility that the infection has come back. I would certainly recommend having him checked again as he may need further treatment. When ear infections are recurrent it is usually a good idea to get a swab of the ear that your vet can send away and grow the bacteria (or yeasts) and test which antibiotics are best at killing them. This way you can target your treatment to any bugs that are left over from the last treatment and see what is likely causing the issue.

Customer: thank you I will take him back tomorrow
Sophie-Vet :

No problem, I hope this is helpful? Is there anything else I can help you with today>

Sophie-Vet :

I can see you have gone offline, just let me know if there is anything else you needed to ask or I can help you with today. If you are done please don't forget to rate me. All the best with Ben, Sophie