Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My rainbow boa died last night. We noticed that he had mites

Customer Question

My rainbow boa died last night. We noticed that he had mites so we took him out gave him a bath and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected his viv before putting him back we also treated the viv with a mite spray following the instructions. He was rather lethargic before his bath but seemed to perk up afterwards. He seemed fine when we put him back but this morning when we checked on him he was dead. Why do you think this happened? Was it the mite infestation that killed him? Our other snakes kept in the same room are all fine and mite free.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Bruce :

Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you.

Dr. Bruce :

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet.

Dr. Bruce :

My suspicion would be that the mites did not kill him, but instead he had some sort of underlying illness or disease that killed him. The mites were a symptom of his problem and that is why only Vlad had the mites, while none of the other snakes in the same room were infected.

Dr. Bruce :

Vlad's underlying illness lowered his immune system and allowed the mites to infect him. I'm sure that the mites didn't help and would likely have added to his already debilitated state, but it is not likely that the mites alone would make him sick enough to die.

Dr. Bruce :

I hope this helps and again, I am so sorry for your loss. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post and I will get back to you as soon as possible.