Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

we have a rabbit that has his bottom teeth overgrowing,

Hi we have a rabbit that has his bottom teeth overgrowing, can you tell me the average cost to have this treated as some of the quotes I have been given seem a little extreme

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. B. :

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Dr. B. :

Now the cost does depend on which treatment has been mentioned.

Dr. B. :

In regards ***** ***** burring/trimming of the teeth, this can cost between £10-30 pounds depending on how the vet does this (clipping which is an inferior procedure tends to be less costly then burring with a dental drill).

Dr. B. :

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatment (which is advisable) requiring removal of all 4 incisors, this tends to cost £100-150 ($150-200 USD). The elevated cost is due to the need for general anesthesia while removing the teeth.

Dr. B. :

That said, once the teeth are removed and as long as there is no regrowth (which can happen on occasion), then we often find the costs balance out since the incisors can no longer cause trouble.

Dr. B. :

All the best,

Dr. B. :

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Since the chat feature seemed to be blanking out some of my words, I have switched over to the Q+A mode. Since your question came through to the UK side of the website but notes you are located in the US, I have included the estimate of costs in both currencies.

In regards ***** ***** of the teeth, this can cost between £10-30 pounds ($ 15-45) depending on how the vet does this (clipping which is an inferior procedure tends to be less costly then burring with a dental drill).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** of the incisors (which is advisable) requiring removal of all 4 incisors, this tends to cost £100-150 ($150-200 USD). The elevated cost is due to the need for general anesthesia while removing the teeth.

All the best,

Dr. B.