Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my indoor Bengal cat has white patches in one of his ears,It

Customer Question

my indoor Bengal cat has white patches in one of his ears,It also looks like he has a slight bald patch above the eye on the sae side.HE is very fiit, eats the diet recommended from the breeder. He is 10 months old. Any suggestions?. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a close-up photo of these white patches to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Do you see any inflammation (redness), crusting, or bumps associated with these patches? Is Claudius scratching at these areas? Does Claudius go outside? Very few skin conditions cause white changes in cats' skin. I'm wondering if you're seeing white skin through areas that have lost their fur due to dermatophytosis (ringworm) or demodicosis (a mange mite).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. There is no redness, my husband thinks it is his skin pigment, but I have been thinking it is some kind of dermatitis or a mite, Claudius is not in any way bothered by this, and is not scratching ..

I will have to take him to my vet for him to confirm your ,prognosis as he may need treatment.

Thank you again.

,

Teresa Murphy.

You're welcome, Teresa. Yes, if there's no inflammation (dermatitis) infection by bacteria, fungi, or mites is unlikely. In some cases, the demodectic mange mite will only cause hair loss without obvious inflammation, however. Hopefully, you're just seeing normal skin color variation.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.