Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cat Sherlock is 6 in june. He has always been playful and

My cat Sherlock is 6 in june. He has always been playful and spends plenty of time outside.
The last 2 days he has only gone out to go to the loo, he usually has a small amount of cooked chicken for breakfast but didn't eat that today or the wiskers cat food. He did drink half a beaten egg. I checked his mouth by feeling firmly around his jaw so I don't think he has toothache. I don't see his toilet as he doesn't go in my garden. I've felt all over his body and he feels the same temperature as always. He appears depressed staying at the top of the stairs all day and night. He normally sleeps with me but not the last 2 nights.
Can you suggest what I should do ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Dr. Peter :

1- Did he get into anything?

2- Any vomiting or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer:

There is a new cat in the area and Sherlock doesn't like other cats, only see it once a day if that in the garden. Didn't feel any cuts or scratches. He hasn't vomited or coughed and has no medical conditions.

Dr. Peter :

1- Any other symptoms
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Dr. Peter :

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer:

His gums are pink, don't have a themoneter

Dr. Peter :

Friend, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. Possible causes could be anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. A very common cause in an indoor/outdoor cat is an infection or a fever.
In this case, your cat will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, offer him a bland diet of rice and boiled bonless chicken or ground beef; if possible blend the food and force feed him small amounts 4-6 times a day.

Dr. Peter :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.