Dr. Hunt
Dr. Hunt, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal & equine vet with special interest in ER/critical care, advanced medicine, and surgery.
21462365

my llaso asos is three years old now, she has stopped eating

Customer Question

my llaso asos is three years old now, she has stopped eating her dry food. she is a picky eater and will eat treats and my leftovers. my grandson has now a springer spanial who's one and is now feeding his dog on fresh meats. i an't afford to do that all the time i have tried this but she only eats it for one day. can you help?

i don't want a membership

Expert:  Dr. Hunt replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hunt :

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble getting your dog to eat well, and I hope that I can provide some assistance.

Dr. Hunt :

Small dogs can be notoriously picky eaters. So a question for you, is your dog too thin, just right, or overweight? This will change my answer.

Dr. Hunt :

If your dog is just right or overweight, then I would suggest switching to the dog food you want to feed on the long-term (e.g. dry food or canned food) and I would avoid giving her anything else food-wise. If you give her treats and human food, she will hold out for those things because they truly do taste better. However, nutritionally speaking, they are not specifically what a dog needs and should be eating. Once she figures out she won't be getting those things, she will eat the appropriate amount of her dog food.

Dr. Hunt :

If your dog is too thin, it becomes a different matter. I still suggest that dogs should be on a commercially available dog food, either canned or dry. Many pet parents find that their picky dog prefers canned food. What I would suggest is to stop feeding the treats and leftovers and try a few types of canned dog food. As she gets hungry (and she may hold out a day or two hoping you'll change your mind on the treats!) she will let you know which of the canned diets she prefers. Then you can feed her canned food twice daily and then leave dry food out all day and all night. Canned food is higher in calories, so she will tend to gain weight on this "diet".

Dr. Hunt :

Feeding a meat-only diet or a raw diet that is not a commercially made diet is, in my opinion, a risky choice. It is not one I recommend to my clients. The bagged and canned dog foods go through nutritional testing, so I know for example the exact amount of calcium and phosphorus in the diet and know that the calcium to phosphorus ratio (important for maintaining solid bones) is correct. When people feed meat-only diets, this ratio along with other important nutritional values are not tested and are frequently imbalanced. So please, don't feel bad for feeding your dog a commercially available dog food. That is what is ideal.

Dr. Hunt :

I hope that this has been helpful in deciding a course of action for feeding your dog. If you have follow-up questions, please let me know. Good luck with your dog!