Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 7 year old Beautiful Birman cat which I re homed a

I have a 7 year old Beautiful Birman cat which I re homed a year ago. I have been trying to find the right kind of diet for her. We have tried grain free foods. She has constant Diorrhea. Her stools have been tested, no problem there. For the last two months I have been giving her Luxolite and Feline Comfort from Vitality Science, USA. And kept her on pure rabbit. I mix the meds with a small amount of Canned Cannegan tuna which she loves ie to make sure eats it.She has responded to the treatment. She is healthy and although a small cat is maintaining her weight. Now we have used it up her stools have become loose again. Is there a UK equivalent to buy these products? I have heard psyllium husk powder could help the condition. Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now there are some equivalent products that we do use in kitties with this type of situation. In regards ***** ***** dietary fiber (which is what the psyllium husk that was in the Feline Comfort product is), we will use products like Protexin Pro-Fiber (More Info). This product is quite a good one for supplementing fiber and it also contains probiotics (ie EU-registered probiotic Enterococcus faecium (NCIMB 10415) E1707 to restore normal GI microflora) and Preplex prebiotics (ie fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS), acacia (Gum arabic)).

Alternatively, a good probiotic dietary supplement that we do often use in cats is Fortiflora (More Info) and this can be used in combination with an OTC fiber supplement (ie a 1/4 tsp of Benefiber).

In regards ***** ***** the Luxolite, we tend to use Kaolin (another clay product) to slow loose stools and naturally absorb excess GI fluid. This can be purchased OTC at the chemist and used as on its own. Or you can use it in combination with a pre/pro-biotic supplement like Protexin Prokolin (More Info) or Canigest (More Info).

Finally, if you suspect she has GI gut inflammation or ache as part of her condition, then the slippery elm (a precursor to aspirin) in her previous treatment may have been of benefit for her. And while not present in most GI products here, I would note that Dorwest Veterinary Herbals, do make a product that could cover that side for her as well (More Info).

Overall, there is no exact product that matches what she has had before. Still we can combine the above products such as to meet her requirements and settle her loose stools for her. Therefore, I would advise trying some of the above to try with her. Perhaps you may want to consider just starting with the Protexin Prokolin (since it available OTC and has the clay, probiotics, and is a treatment of choice for loose stools in kitties here) on its own to see if this one treatment can soothe all her signs alone. If it can, then may just streamline your supportive care for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will give it a try. Sorry I am not sure what OTC is. Another problem we have is that Willow will only use the litter box to urinate in and seems to prefer the utility floor! I believe this can be a problem in chats with IBS. This is a difficult one. Have had numerous cats in the past and never had this problem before. She is in a single cat household. Any ideas? Thank you Jane
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Jane.

OTC means over the counter or without a prescription. So, you can just request it from your vets without an examination.

In regards ***** ***** passing feces outside the box though using it for urination, this does suggest that it is all related to her fecal issues. Often cats that struggle to pass feces (due to fecal issues like IBD or arthritis) will go outside the box because it is easier to do so. This is because the floor is a better substrate for gripping and lacks any uncomfortable pebbly litter for her to have to balance on while passing feces. So, to make going easier for her, you could offer her a low lipped empty or softer substrate (ie sand, dirt, shredded newspaper) containing litter box in the utility room so that you can compromise. If she still refuses, you could offer a puppy training pad (example) or newspaper for her to use so that its easy clean-up. But I do suspect that her behavior is related to her fecal issues and why you have not had this issue with a kitty in the past.

All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That makes sense. Thank you, ***** ***** Is it ok to give her just rabbit,nutrition wise? I guess it is good enough for wild cats or would you suggest anything else? Bearing in mind I have tried several dried grain free sensitive stomach, expensive brand foods. I just want something that works for her and easy for me. I am at a loss. I have tried cooked chicken and fish as well.
I am giving her four small meals a day of pure rabbit meat.
What do you think? Jane
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Jane,

I do appreciate that you want an easy option to help your lass. Unfortunately, our cats don't always go along with those wishes. So, we do need to always work to find what works best for them and modify it to meet all their needs.

With this in mind, as long as the rabbit is part of a nutritionally balanced diet or you are supplementing her with a feline specific vitamins (of which they are many available on the market), then I would have no qualms with this diet.

Still if you are feeding rabbit with nothing else, then you will need to consider a vitamin/mineral supplement to ensure you don't cause any deficiencies for her. Especially because she (unlike her wild counterparts) won't likely be eating her prey's stomach contents to obtain those trace vitamins/minerals cats don't regularly incorporate into their diet.

Finally, if you are keen to work on a balanced homemade diet for her, I would note that you should take a peek at the BalanceIT website (HERE). This is a very good website that is very helpful in developing home cooked diets to meet our pets' needs. If you look at the 'free recipe generator,' this will give you a good starting place on what making a balanced diet should contain. Alternatively, if you wanted a clinical veterinary nutritionist to create a balanced diet just for Willow's needs, PetDiets (LINK) is another good source to check out. There is a wee fee associated with their designing a diet for her, but they will work with you to find the perfect diet and that could be a good investment to find what works for Willow, avoid any deficiencies, and help you find that easy option for her.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks the most informative information I have experienced. Have not had a great deal of support from my own vet? In fact one lady vet told me she would not put up with that nonsense and in so many words get rid of her! She is too sweet natured to consider that option. Thank you again, I will trail through those sites.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Jane.

That is a shame that her previous vets haven't been as keen to help Willow. I suspect its the case of finding a vet that has similar views on kitty care as yourself (perhaps see if there is a local cat only practice near you or check the ISFM cat friendly clinic register HERE).

Otherwise, I am glad that I could shed some light on how we can help Willow be as comfortable with her GI as possible.

Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would be grateful if you could recommend a vitamin supplement for Willow that I could obtain in Britain. Please. Thank you.
Jane
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jane,

There are quite a few on the markets that are fine for use with our kitties. In regards ***** ***** that I often use with my patients, I do use the Pet Naturals (example) quite regularly for them.

All the best,
Dr. B.