Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Im very worried about my 10 year old yorkshire terrier, she

Hello Im very worried about my 10 year old yorkshire terrier,
she has a heart problem and was told she wouldnt make her first
birthday but here is is 10 years later.
the problem is that she keeps walking around crying a sad whimper all the time and then goes off to hide in a room alone. she did something similar last year after we took her on a holiday which although we stopped many times it was a*****
she is still eating well and still playing with her ball if i throw it but she gives up the game quicker than usual.
would love some advice please
many thanks Jackie
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Is she walking any diferent?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Peter

she does have a cough but has had this for years and the reason for this is her heart. but the crying has only been about 3 days along with the hiding . last year the crying went on for roughly two weeks after the holiday trip.

she wobbles her bottom when she walks but this too has been for a few years.

she does seem more hungry than usual, looking for scraps that may of fallen which she didnt do before.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she currently on any medications?
2- Has your vet done an echocardiogram (ultrasound) of her heart?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No she isnt on any medication and no she hasnt had a ultrasound she has a heart murmur which is very easy to feel as she is a tiny yorkshire terrier i think she is a teacup size.

her gums are quite pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jackie, crying and hiding are very non specific symptoms and can be related to many different conditions that affect dogs. Can this be related to her heart? Yes. Other possible causes could be neuromuscular pain (arthritis??), infections, etc. to name a few causes.
Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home in this case. The first place to start is with a hands on examination with family veterinarian. I would also discuss with your family veterinarian about doing an echocardiogram on her. This test will allow your vet to see how the heart is functioning as a pump and determine if she should be started on medication. A heart murmur is the turbulence created by the blood flow through the heart, but, does not tell us if the patient needs to be medicated or not. In addition, I would recommend some blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to make sure kidneys, liver, blood cells, etc. are all within normal limits. Treatment will be based on exam and test results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.