Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

please can you help we have 2 new kittens from 2 separate

hi please can you help
we have 2 new kittens from 2 separate rescue litters
buddy is about 13 weeks old - he is full of bean and alovely, brave curious sole. he has had a runny tummy and terrible wind since he arrived and we have also notices on several occasions that there is fresh red blood in his poo.
before he came he was having felix adult food which we stuck with for the first week the moved to felix kitten food and a little dried food to mix. he has stayed the same though and still very runny with blood.
jack arrived a week after buddy and had been fed felix kitten food and is poo was fairly firm. it is now also runny and he sneezes from time to time with a little discharge around his eyes.
I have now noticed that buddy is also sneezing .
they have both settled down and are very close with buddy cleaning jack a lot ( jack is larger)
each cat arrived to us wormed, de fleaed and chipped but neither have had their jabs. jack is he only one to have been neutered.
they both seem hungry all the time ? we feed them half a sachet of kitten food each several times a day but im worried to over feed them with their poorly tummies :(
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about your youngsters' gas, and loose stools with blood.
Because both kittens are affected we must consider that this is related to something contagious, like a parasite or bacterial or viral infection.
Parasites in kittens are the most common reason for diarrhea. Most parasites cannot be seen with the naked eye. I would submit a fresh fecal sample to your veterinarian to make sure that isn't an issue.
I understand that they have been wormed, but they should be wormed at least twice by a good general worm medication like pyrantal or Drontal.
Protozoal parasites can also lead to diarrhea so make sure you discuss these with your veterinarian as well.
Coccidia is one protozoa that can lead to bloody stools in kittens but giardia or tritrichomonas are also possible.
Another cause of diarrhea in kittens is an immunosuppressive virus like Feline Leukemia or Feline Immunodeficiency virus. If they haven't already been tested for these viruses they should be.
That said diarrhea may be caused by a change in diet too.
You can try feeding a bland diet of boiled chicken mixed with boiled plain white rice (2/3 chicken & 1/3 rice) which may help settle things down. Feed this for 4 to 5 days to settle things down and if the diarrhea resolves gradually add what will be their regular food back in increasing amounts over 4 to 5 days until they are back on a regular diet.
You can also give Kao-Pectate (kaolin and pectin formula) at 0.5mls per kilogram every 6 hours for 3 to 4 days to slow down his diarrhea. It's unlikely they've developed anything serious because they feels so well but if they start vomiting or stop eating then a quick trip to their veterinarian is warranted.
Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.