Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my 11week Great Dane puppy is knuckling over quite badly

Customer Question

Hi my 11week Great Dane puppy is knuckling over quite badly the breeder says drop protein down to at least 21%. My vet says hills puppy large breed which I have done but he is getting worse I am urgent to do something right now but no one is doing any thing
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're likely to be describing the carpal flexural deformity of puppies seen most commonly in medium-, large-, and giant-breed puppies between 6 and 16 weeks of age. The chief complaint is lameness/knuckling and/or visible carpal deformity. The onset is acute with a possible sudden worsening after a few days. It's usually a bilateral disorder although each forelimb may be involved at a different time and with differing severity. Severely affected pups may stumble when walking as Rodney is doing.

It's important to note that this disorder is self-limiting, so conservative therapy is appropriate. Both enforced rest and exercise have been recommended but with similar results. Refractory cases might benefit from a bandage extending from the elbow to the paw and with the limb in normal stance position, to be maintained for one to several weeks. A balanced diet such as the Hill's large breed puppy is ideal. Avoid caloric excess and mineral/vitamin supplementation.

Even in severe cases, improvement occurs within a few days to 2 weeks and recovery is complete by the second to fourth week. This disorder is remarkable by the contrast between the severity of the deformity apparent on physical exam and the benign, self-resolving course of the disease process. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.