Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how long does it take antibiotics to start working

how long does it take for cat antibiotics to start working?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Dr Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome,

This is not an information request but just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo :

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

JACUSTOMER-y2qkj0y1- :

Hello and thank you - it's okay e-mail is fine - thanks

Dr Scott Nimmo :

Please stand by, that last post was made in error ...

Dr Scott Nimmo :

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello - has there been a communication blip?

Hello again and thanks for waiting. { Sorry for the confusion - somebug or other } I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think. 1. The answer to this is the response time to the antibiotic depends on a number of factors such as how severe the infection is, how susceptible the bacteria involved is to the antibiotic and which particular antibiotic is being used, some work in different ways you see. But all things being equal I would expect to see some form of improvement at around the two to three day mark where a cat is on antibiotics. 2. If your cat is not improving after three days on an antibiotic or is deteriorating in some way then you should get your vet involved again ASAP.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you - it has only been 24 hours but we are concerned because he has stopped eating - still drinking but definitely off his food

Hello again, Glad to talk this over with you further ... At 24 hours it is still early days yet, so it may pay you to sit things out a bit longer as long as she is not deteriorating in any way. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... Sorry for the communication problem at the start ... Regards, ***** *****