Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My French bulldog has had very runny stools couple

My French bulldog has had very runny stools for last couple of months, not changed his diet he only eats chicken with a few biscuits
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he been seen by a vet for the diarrhea?
2- Is he losing weight?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Has he been dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He was wormed about 3 months ago, not been to a vet and doesn't seem to be loosing weight, only other thing he dribbles urine quite alot

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- What is the name of the deworming medication?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry don't have packet anymore, what do you recommend

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Paul, in a young dog with chronic diarrhea a very common cause are intestinal parasites. I normally recommend getting them dewormed before proceeding with any diagnostics if there are no other symptoms. 3 common parasites known to cause chronic diarrhea in young dogs and yet be negative on fecal analysis are: Giardia, whipworms (T. vulpis) and coccidia; for this reason it is best to rule out by deworming.This is what you can try:

1- You can speak to your veterinarian about deworming using Fenbendazole (panacur) give it once a day for 3 days. Then, repeat after 3 weeks. Panacur will treat against giardia and whipworms. To rule out coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon. You can also buy Panacur in some pet stores or online (amazon.com).

2- Start him on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can find this over the counter in any pet store.

3- Change diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is normal. Then wean him back into a grain free diet; a diet free of: Corn, soy, gluten, etc.

4- If after doing the above the diarrhea continues, then your vet will follow up with some diagnostics like xrays, sonogram and blood work.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter