Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

feed half a of hay with listeria in it to fifteen sheep

Customer Question

feed half a bale of hay with listeria in it to fifteen sheep by mistake one day worried sick as looking after my brother in law sheep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. Whay signs are you seeing in the stock? Have the sheep or hay been tested and Listeria confirmed? Any testing or treatment thus far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they have no signs of any thing wrong with them t hey appear normal to me . was only feeding them for one day

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,If there is no signs of anything amiss, then why do you suspect Listeria (as it tends to cause neurological signs and death in sheep)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

feed them with wrong hay .fiend said that was old bale with listeria spores in it .feed them on sunday when would systoms appear in the sheep .

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Normal
0
Fair enough, Old hay could carry the risk of bacterial Listeria spores, but just because its old doesn't mean it absolutely had them. The only caveat to that would be if there was a previous Listeria outbreak with that bale (though surely they wouldn't have left it lying around if that were the case). So, its worth checking with this friend to see if they have inside knowledge on that bale specifically, as opposed to assuming the risk. Otherwise in regards ***** ***** this will depend on how much bacterial spore is ingested by any animal. Generally speaking, we can see onset within 48hours but up to 10 days. So, it is possible that we'd not see anything yet if they only got a low dose. In regards ***** ***** treatment to offset risk, you can consider treating the exposed stock withPenicillin G (dose: 44,000 U/kg body weight into the muscle once daily for a 1-2 weeks) . This should be available at most feed stores or from your local vet. And that would be a safeguard measure for these sheep if that bale is known to be contaminated. Overall, how to approach this situation does depend on the history of that bale. If there was a listeria outbreak from it, then we'd want to use the preventative antibiotic course. If there wasn't, then you can monitor and start the treatment if you see any signs of them being unwell or treat anyway to play it safe. That way you can limit risk if there was genuine concerns about this bale being contaminated. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks very much for that information .

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Hopefully, the friend was just speaking in generalities and there is no issue with that particular bale. But again, if there is any worry or doubt, we can cover our bases with Penicillin to kill off the bacteria and avoid any issue.All the best,Dr. B.