Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

years I have kept koi and goldfish very successfully

Customer Question

For many years I have kept koi and goldfish very successfully. Over the space of two weeks about a month ago I found 8 baby fish (which I didn't even know I had) dead in the water. There were no outward signs of illness. I medicated the pond and for the last 3 weeks there have been no further casualties. Returning from a weekend away today, however, I discovered that the smallest of my larger fish was floating in the pond, so the problem has not gone away. We had a building project during December during which time I imagine a small amount of sawdust from treated timber will inevitably have got in the pond, despite our efforts to prevent it. There have been no symptoms apart from a greater degree of lethargy than usual for this time of year, but I had put that down to the very cold weather. The pond fills with rainwater from the roof. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to discuss your question about your fish.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry you're having trouble, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

Could you please tell me how large this pond is?

Dr. Jo :

Also, have you already had a water sample tested at a local aquarists?

Dr. Jo :

While I await your reply, I'll offer the following: as I'm sure you already know, the sawdust from treated wood can be very deadly, and it doesn't take much exposure to kill fish. It can also last in the water for a long time.

Dr. Jo :

In the US, fish pond water samples can also be sent to the local University Extension for analysis. They will provide a very thorough report that can help aquaculturists uncover the cause behind mortality problems.

Dr. Jo :

This link will take you to an example of the kind of analysis done by our local Extension Office:

Dr. Jo :

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Understanding-Your-Fish-Pond-Water-Analysis-Report.pdf

Dr. Jo :

Here is a link to a home pond water analysis kit that can also be helpful. It isn't as exhaustive as the University report, but it still can be useful.

Dr. Jo :

http://www.absolute-koi.com/cat29.html

Dr. Jo :

I should back up a moment and explain.

Dr. Jo :

Your question was, "Any ideas?"

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, there are numerous things that might be causing your fish mortality problem right now.

Dr. Jo :

Too many to list.

Dr. Jo :

But identifying the problem will require either...

Dr. Jo :

1. Pond water analysis

Dr. Jo :

2. Post mortem analysis of a deceased fish.

Dr. Jo :

Otherwise you're only guessing.

Dr. Jo :

For example, you tried medicating the water, but that doesn't appear to be solving the problem. It was a good guess and a good place to start, but now you clearly need more conclusive answers.

Dr. Jo :

It has been said, "We don't keep fish. We keep water."

Dr. Jo :

If your pond is small enough to drain and refill, that would solve the problem if this really is from exposure to the arsenic in the wood.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, if whatever is in the water is an ongoing exposure, it won't.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I see you are now online.

Dr. Jo :

Is what I've said so far helpful?

Dr. Jo :

Please type in what you want to say, then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

I also think it's important to clarify that this type of fish mortality does not "sound like" any particular problem. We don't have any luck narrowing down most types of fish mortality problems by looking at the history and numbers of fish affected because they are not distinct.

Dr. Jo :

Therefore, the best idea I have for you is to have your pond water analyzed. The most complete analysis that's available would be best.

Dr. Jo :

Are you having difficulty with the chat feature?

Dr. Jo :

Simply type in what you want to say, then click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

That way I'll be able to see what you're typing.

Dr. Jo :

Are you there?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I answered al, your Q's but my reply disappeared from the screen. Did you get them?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the difficulty with the system. No, I did not receive your answers to my questions.
If you're willing, please type them in again in the box below. Perhaps we'll have better luck with this format.
I'm so sorry for the frustration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hope you got my answers second time around. I will be delighted to sign the funds off when I hear back from you. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Again, many apologies...
I see your text saying, "Hope you got my answers second time around. I will be delighted to sign the funds off when I hear back from you. Thanks."
But I didn't receive any answers.
I'm so sorry for the technical difficulties. I will OPT OUT now to see if another expert can help you better, and let our customer service department know about this problem.
Will make sure you get the help you need. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking to see if you were able to get the help you need and ask if there is anything else I can do to help.