Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My 2 year old cavashon jumped off the back of the sofa in November

My 2 year old cavashon jumped off the back of the sofa in November and dislocated her knee. she was xrayed by the vet and he felt that there had been a weakness in the area and that the knee was unlikely to stay in position grading it a 3-4. she appears to have fully recovered in her behaviour e.g. no holding the leg up limping. she runs and jumps off sofas and beds easily. the vet recommended still doing the operation which would cost 4,000. I am reluctant as she seems fine and worry about the long recovery and possibility of infection. should I go ahead?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I definitely understand your concerns going forward considering that Missy appears back to normal now.

Dr. Susan :

Most surgeons do recommend going forward with surgery considering the severity grade (3-4).

Dr. Susan :

The reason is over time, we expect to see significant changes in her joints and bones in the hind leg.

Dr. Susan :

We can see the legs visibly turn outward (duck footed) with bowing of the limbs.

Dr. Susan :

The changes lead to arthritis, which is painful.

Dr. Susan :

Doing surgery now gives us a greater chance to avoid degenerative joint disease and arthritis when she ages.

Dr. Susan :

Has anyone palpated her leg recently, since she has been using it well again?

Customer:

no I wondered if I could ask a different vet to look at her and feel the joint. I wouldn't want to put her through another xray if possible. my vet is keen to try a new technique that he has learnt on a course where a small plastic curved part is attached to the bone rather than channelling out a grove. he says the cost would be 4,000 for this surgery. I don't to offend him by telling him I would like someone else to give an opinion. can I go to another vet practise for a view of the condition at this time or does he need to refer me to someone.

Dr. Susan :

No problem, you can absolutely go somewhere else without telling him about it.

Dr. Susan :

If you like, you can schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for an appointment.

Dr. Susan :

You can also go to a regular general practitioner.

Customer:

should it be with an orthopaedic vet

Dr. Susan :

I think that would be your best option. That way you can be very confident in the recommendations given.

Customer:

how do I find a local one to me. I live in Cheadle cheshire

Dr. Susan :

Let me see if I can locate one for you.

Dr. Susan :

My WIFI went out for a couple of minutes, I'm still here and I'm searching now for you.

Customer:

hi are you still there

Dr. Susan :

Yes, I may have found one, I'm just trying to see how far it is from you.

Dr. Susan :

There are orthopedic surgeons at Nantwich Veterinary Hospital. Here is the number: 01270 610322

Dr. Susan :

It appears to be about an hour away.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will contact them. Tracy

Dr. Susan :

You're very welcome. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics