Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 7 month old kitten has had dierra weeks 8 days ago my

My 7 month old kitten has had dierra for two weeks 8 days ago
my vet took a swob to be tested, the result has not come back
yet, they are testing for the norovirius, is there anything that
can be given to help the dierra he cant go on like this he needs
help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is Kiefer on the Prokolin just now?
Has this not had any positive effects?

What are you feeding him?

Has his vet started any broad spectrum antibiotics?

When was he last wormed?

Has the diarrhea ever had blood in it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Kiefer has been with me fpr 5 weeks
I homed him and his brother when they were
not wanted anymore, I have six other cats. Haji Kiefers brother had
dierra as a young kitten, Kiefer did not, on
arrival I noticed Haji sneezed from time to time
but perfect stools. Kiefer started dierra two weeks ago, both are
wormed and fed on a variety of cat foods
cat biscuits kitten milk fresh chicken and
fish. Both eat well and play well. Kiefer gets
runny eyes after eating his food. Kiefer has
been on the pro kolin for 6 days, it has not
improved his dierra, they have both been put on veraflox today, it was
the calicivirius they were tested for it came
back negative, kind regards Teresa
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Teresa,

Now if they have had mild but chronic sneezing and tearing, we'd be more concerned about feline herpes virus for those signs (and we do need to be aware that unless their vet tested for this via PCR at the peak of infection around the first 1-2 weeks of signs then a false negative may have been seen). And it is quite possible that this tearing hasn't settled for Keifer due to his immune system unable to subdue the virus as it fights the cause of his diarrhea.

Now I a do appreciate the further information but do have just a few more questions based on that:

Was he on any antibiotic before the Veraflox (since that has just started today and its effects will take time)?

Did they worm him with Panacur or was something else used?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No other antibiotic had been given before
and I used panacur 2 wks ago although they
did spit alot out, my vet said she had put
that into consideration when prescribing
the dose.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again,

First, I am glad to hear that Panacur was used and do hope that they did at least get a proper dose. The reason why we'd want to use that wormer specifically is because it is one that dose help with worms but also some of the potential protozoal causes for diarrhea in cats.

Now it does sound like you are on the right track with ruling out potential triggers and narrowing down causes for his signs. And if the antibiotic was only started today, then we will need to give this time to take effect. Still I do appreciate that this long term continued diarrhea will be taking a toll on him (from a view of hydration and nutrient absorption for his growth) and yourself.

Now while Prokolin tends to be quite a good product for soothing GI microflora (good bacteria) populations and slowing diarrhea, I do find that for severe cases the amount of kaolin it contains may not be enough to slow the loose stools. Therefore, I would note that you could speak to your vet about using a plain Kaolin/Kaogel product (More Info/Dose). They can dispense this for you but it is also available OTC at most chemists. So, if he is still very runny, you could consider trying this with him. And I would just note, don't be tempted to use any others like Immodium or Pepto Bismol, as these can be harmful for cats.

Otherwise, you mentioned quite a varied diet for your lad. And while this is fine when stools are normal and all is well, it is less then ideal for situations of diarrhea (since quite diet changes can worsen diarrhea too). Therefore, I would advise sticking to one diet. As well, since we have compromised absorption, I would note that you could consider putting him on Hill's I/D (LINK), Royal Canin Gastrointestinal (LINK) or Royal Canin Sensitivity control (LINK). These can all be purchased from your vets or online. All are designed for easy absorption in situations like this (and I am sure you can appreciate, the more he absorbs means the less that can be passed as diarrhea).

Finally, since diarrhea can cause dehydration in kitties (and they often cannot keep up with fluid losses) I would advise considering checking his hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure he is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (They use a big dog but the techniques are the same). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then we may need to think about fluid therapy from his vet (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and depresses them).

If you are concerned that he is becoming dehydrated despite drinking, you can try and encourage him to do so more by offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. As well, the reason I noted wet food diets is because these will have more fluid content then dry and help match his losses. Otherwise, if he isn’t amenable to these, you can syringe feed pedialyte or Lectaid (from the vets). These are nice options to give because they will get some of those lost electrolytes back into him as well as fluid. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. If you do give syringe fluids, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total he needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of feline daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea he is producing). If he vomit when you have given this, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).

Overall, if the Verflox was started today then hopefully we will see this start to settle. Otherwise, we want to ensure we are feeding an easily digestible diet to reduce the volume of what can be passed as diarrhea and monitor hydration. Further to this, since the Prokolin wasn't strong enough for him, do consider swapping to Kaogel/Kaolin to better bind the loose feces, slow the diarrhea, and give you a chance to reduce this as you treat the underlying cause.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.